Help Wanted: Telepathy Agent; You know where to apply.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Job vs. Career

It's standard that a job is employment obtained without long-term education; and a career is employment obtained with long-term education.  Many people are more than happy simply having a job; something to get them money for the everyday.  But there is a large number of people that want a career; something that pays more, offers more, and is something they enjoy. 

Take me for example, I love writing and I love graphic design.  I've been involved in both for about 15 years so I am considered self taught, but that doesn't get you very far these days.  I have done some very impressive things with Adobe programs without an education to boot.  Intern selection committees for world wide corporations have loved my work, and have seen me as a potential employee, so why am I unemployed?  Last summer, I was up for an internship with an animated film company and I almost made the cut.  They explained in a letter that they only take on 2 or 3 self taught designers every intern opening.  They were accepting a total of 10 interns 2 of which could be self taught.  In the end I didn't get the job.  In a final letter, they explained I clearly have a passion, and I have amazing skill, but I'd benefit from some schooling to round out my skills. 

So what does one do when the world requires school not skill?  Now, I don't mean to offend anyone with this, but I miss the days when receptionists/medical assistants were hired on skill and personality.  I love my primary care physician; he's a great doctor and I understand him well.  There are two medical assistants in his office and they are both awful women.  They're never in a good mode.  They're rude, impatient and unhelpful.  But their college certificate says they know how to do the job, so they're hired. 

Meanwhile my husband started a new job of which he's not so fond.  He's a skilled trade worker.  No matter where he works, he makes around the same amount of money which is barely enough for our family.  Between his odd work schedule, sleeping and my numerous monthly doctor appointments, we have no time as a family.  He wants to attend college for something computer related.  He's self taught in computer technology, troubleshooting, repairing, and improving, but once again, everywhere he goes wants a degree of some kind.

He'd need a 1 year certificate to get a career he likes, which with his schedule, would take him over a year, which is doable but it's upsetting that people have to go to school to learn to do something they already know how to do.

The only option is to be a freelance _______ whatever you may be.  Think about it, the customer might not care about education if you prove you can do the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it cool.